How to make an ant farm.
1 x Large glass jar
1 x Small glass jar (fits inside large jar)
1 x Cup of soil
1 x Cup of sand
Tools and equipment:
- Small drill
- Place the lid on the small jar, and place inside the large jar.
- Collect some soil from your garden and mix with sand (2 parts soil, 1 part sand).
- Put the soil / sand mix into the gap between the small jar and the large jar, leaving a 2 cm gap at the top.
- Collect some ants from your garden or local park, and put them carefully on top of the soil, and screw the lid onto the large jar.
- Ask an adult to drill or punch some small holes in the lid, so that the ants have air.
- You can feed your ants every few days with a drop of honey and a couple of drops of water.
- Place your ant farm somewhere cool and dark.
- When you are not looking at your ant farm, cover it with some dark material.
The ants will live approximately 2-3 weeks without a queen ant (which is their natural life span).
You can purchase an ant farm kit online if you would like to see their reproductive cycle.