How to make a water bottle rocket.
- 1 x Large water bottle
- 1 x Cork
- 1 x Piece of cardboard
Tools and equipment:
- Bicycle pump
- Football inflator valve • Sellotape
- Pair of scissors
- Cut three triangles out of the piece of cardboard, and sellotape onto an empty plastic bottle as fins.
- Half fill the plastic bottle with water.
- Push the cork into the end of the water bottle.
- Attach the football inflator valve onto the bicycle pump.
- Push the football inflator valve through the cork.
- Stand the water bottle rocket on its fins.
- When you are ready to launch your water bottle rocket pump the bicycle pump.
The bicycle pump pressurises the bottle until the cork is forced out by the propellant (the water) which launches the bottle into the air. The fins provide flight stability.
Perhaps you could make a nose cone for your rocket to improve its flight?